I forgot my password

Barack has some VERY interesting cousin connections...

Go down

Barack has some VERY interesting cousin connections...

Post by Diva_Bleu on February 18th 2008, 11:56 am

Suspect Mad

It would not make the happiest of family reunions. Barack Obama, the young, charming, anti-war presidential hopeful, is an eighth cousin of Vice-President Dick Cheney, the older, whiter, irascible warrior-politician.

The link between the two men was discovered by Lynne Cheney, the vice-president's wife, while researching her ancestry for a memoir about growing up in Wyoming.

"This is such an amazing American story that one ancestor ... could be responsible down the family lines for lives that have taken such different and varied paths as Dick's and Obama's," she told MSNBC.

A spokesman for Mrs Cheney elaborated, explaining that Mr Obama, currently the only black senator, is a descendent of Mareen Duvall, a 17th century French Huguenot immigrant.

He married the granddaughter of a Richard Cheney, who arrived in Maryland in the late 1650s from England, and is a great-grandfather many times over to Richard B Cheney the current vice-president by his full name.

But if the 46-year-old senator doesn't win the nomination, he could end up emulating his distant cousin if Hillary Clinton, likely to be chosen as the Democratic party's candidate, selects him as her running mate.

Mr Obama already has an interesting past. He was born to a white American mother, Ann Dunham, and a Kenyan father, who separated when he was two.

He spent some of his youth in Indonesia before returning to Hawaii to be raised by his maternal grandparents.

A few months ago it emerged that he is 11th cousin to George W Bush, through another ancestral line going back to a Samuel Hinckley and Sarah Soole Hinckley in 17th century Massachusetts.

say it ain't so, folx...

seriously tho, this doesn't suprise me and shouldn't suprise any of us... Many of us would be suprised @ the blood we found running through our veins... That reminds me, did anyone watch African-American lives this month on PBS??? It was INCREDIBLE to see some of the stories told. They traced the geneology of Oprah, Tom Joyner, Chris Rock, Morgan Freeman, Maya Angelou and many others. If you didn't see it, GO FIND IT!!! it's very enlightening... Idea

but how do ya'll feel about the Cheney/Bush connection?

Diva_Bleu
True Fan

Female
Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down